Wednesday 23 May 2007

A Sad Farewell

Today was a celebration!

As I'm leaving tomorrow, leaving the neighborhood in which I've spent the last 10 months, in which I've shared the difficulties and hardships, it was quite necessary to spend the last day with those to whom I've grown close.

The whole neighborhood has become so close recently, it's quite amazing; especially when we hear about the shootings and stabbings in other parts. My area wasn't especially known for it's lack of crime, but when the oil shock happened, people grew closer quite quickly.

My neighborhood is broken into four streets that form a square. on the edges are the houses, and in the middle is a green area, no used to grow food. Actually, just about anywhere that one finds dirt, one finds plants. Windowsills, rooftops, all the space is being used. Despite this, we've still needed to cut down on how much we eat. The summer was almost unbearable, especially when the local Tesco closed. Gas was unavailable (the tanker simply stopped coming), and there was such a significant loss of shelved foods that they couldn't make it work financially. People have commandeered the area, drawing "allotments" (which they've claimed themselves) for food.

Back to the party: Everyone chipped in, and brought their own dish to pass around; no one felt obliged to make a lot, since there was the whole area to feed. It was an excellent opportunity for the new neighbors to become acquainted.

Because of the time of year, it was an excellent time to celebrate; it was almost a Thanksgiving (although a bit of reverse: and American in England!) - there was so much to eat, and everyone had drawn from the diverse collection of veggies and fruits.

Everyone prepared their food in the morning, because we wanted to enjoy ourselves in the late afternoon. There's no telling who will be out and about after the sun goes down, and we much prefer keeping out lights off because of the electricity shortages. Most people tried to keep their food uncooked as well, because gas isn't reliable as well. I worry that soon after I leave, things will get worse (not that I'm the pin the works, but a lack of gas is one thing; losing gas and electricity - our connection to the outside world, is something dreadful).

Perhaps I'll be able to visit sometime. Moving the country won't be difficult to get used to (although it might be - I grew up in the country in the US, but that was with access to a car and plenty of opportunities to find something new), and I know I'll miss everyone I've gotten to know in the past 6 months. It's amazing to think it's been that long since we've had "cheap" oil.

1 comment:

Illiana Speedster said...

I hope you're heading to a better place. Although the neighborhood you've been living in sounds pretty good. Where are you heading to?