Thursday 24 May 2007

A New Place, A New Pace

A week later, I'm in northern Cheshire.

My girlfriend lives with her parents in a small village, and with my lease run out, I figured it would be good to move in (they're quite friendly and open-minded, so it shouldn't be TOO much of a burden - in fact, it was almost at their behest). With gas and train charges what they are, I can see why it would be better for me to simply move in. I hadn't seen her in about a month (and I thought it was unbearable BEFORE the gas prices shot up!), so naturally I feel refreshed.

The move was simple and efficient. We had to use a bit of petrol, but the expense was surely worth it. We made it in one trip, as she used her mother's car, which is a bit larger. I entrusted my books and "growing guides" to the people down the block, who own their house. It's a really amazing thought; all the knowledge contained in a book, and as transferable as cash used to be. They was to start a "sustainable library" in their flat, and I thought my books on herbs and local food would be a good contribution. I wouldn't need them; my girlfriend is amazingly knowledgeable about food and plants. What I can find in a book she can find in her head.

The village doesn't have too many jobs, which worries me a bit, but I'll find something. Unfortunately, we're both trained in the "frivolous art" of classical music. Musicians tend to be quite uppity when you discuss the decline of "classical music", citing increased audiences and society's need for uplifting arts. Unfortunately, food is a bit more vital, and who wants to sit in a darkened concert hall? (not darkened by choice, mind you). It's no wonder most of the orchestras haven't posted new seasons.

What I hope to do is find a practical use for my music. As my horn has quite a large sound, I can use it to project messages (not intricate thoughts - just warnings and such); also, I know how people can get down in times like this, and surely small afternoon concerts may raise their spirits. Perhaps those with instruments (including my girlfriend) will feel the urge to join in the merriment. The opportunities are there if you look hard enough.

It's not that I'm not busy; I still have to help cultivate the gardens...it seems like the entire countryside has been usurped for fruits and veggies. I recall reading about how much oil played an impact on food production in the US, but I didn't think it was as great here. Unfortunately, Britain still has a population way to large to support on its land alone (and certainly without oil). I fear many people will suffer, and I would do anything to alleviate their pain.

I hope someone nice has moved into my flat; someone kind, caring, open, and hard-working. Similarly, I hope I can build a similar reputation here. Although too large to know every one's name, I want to be recognized as someone approachable, someone with ideas. Communities need friends. And I need community.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, thought-provoking entry. And lucky girl!